- 1 large pot
- 1 medium sized skilled
- Chopping knives and cutting board
- Cooking and serving utensils
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for skillet
- 1 stick butter
- ~2/3 cup flour
- 1 onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 32oz carton chicken broth
- 2 cups okra diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 12oz can whole corn drained
- 1 andouille sausage sliced
- 1lb large shrimp tailed & deveined
- ~2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning to taste(I like Slap Ya Mama)
- Cayenne, salt, pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Combine flour and cook until brown and aromatic to create a roux.
- Sear okra in the oiled skillet(it prevents slimy texture)
- Add onion, celery, and green pepper to the roux and cook until onion is see through.
- Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Only takes about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, okra, the rest of the veggies, the sausage, and seasoning.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook for ~20 minutes
- Add shrimp 5-7 minutes before serving so you don’t overcook it.
- Serve over rice
The Ag Wife